Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Booknook Cover How To

 


The booknook cover (frame or face plate) involves printing out your design, gluing it to a backing material, and cutting it to shape.  I like to do this step early because it really helps mock-up the nook at all intermediate steps.  The key point being that you can skip certain details or rearrange things if they will not be visible or prominent as seen through the window in the frame.

I have a stash of thin blank cardboard which I saved from a series of Gundam robots I built with my some over the past 10 years or so. Alternatively, my first booknooks used the stiffer cardboard backing from a pad of paper. And failing that, you can buy this type of "Chip-board" cardboard from a craft store.

I use standard PVA glue, Elmer's glue (not the "School Glue") and spread it with a brush on the cardboard to a size quite a bit larger than the design I'm cutting out.

Spread the PVA glue to a thin layer

Apply your printed design

Now you need to cut it out with a hobby knife.

cut out the inside first (the frame has more support when you do this step first)

Completed cut out.

No comments:

Post a Comment