Thursday, September 1, 2022

Samwise The Brave

 


The terrain is fully painted and Samwise installed in the near corner.

Terrain Painting

For this scene, the film depicts the region as dark with a green hue and there is nothing I noticed in the book to suggest otherwise.  The green hue could be achieved with light or paint and since I would like to use white LEDs for starlight in the foreground, I chose to give the scene a green wash in a final step.

The first step was to use black paint to touch-up the original sealer and to be certain that all visible spaces were covered with no pink or white foam showing.

Next I brushed on a Dark Gray craft paint which did not quite reach into all of the crevasses.  this was followed by a dry brushing of Light Gray.

Then I mixed up a wash using a few browns and a good bit of green.  These craft paints were added to water with a bit of hand soap to break the surface tension of the water during application.  the result is as shown.

The green wash stained the whole piece green


Installing Samwise

Then I glued Samwise into the empty corner and filled the cracks with PVA glue and sand.


From this angle it looks perfect

To make the paint match, I repeated the steps of sealer, black paint, Dark Gray, Light Gray and Green Wash.  This took several iterations to get right and I should have waited to wash the piece until I had everything installed.  The final wash brings everything together and I thought this would be easy considering I saved the wash and it was just a few days later.  I was wrong.

Paint match and small cut-out for the LED wire.

Wiring

The LED wires were routed on the bottom of the piece.  Now I just need to solder on the resistor and bring the wires to the back where the controller will be.

Wiring channels in the foam

Next Steps

  • Tower Silhouette installation
  • Scene lighting
  • Wood case
  • Frodo and Shelob installation
  • Momentary switch installation (variable light settings)
  • Arduino Programming


No comments:

Post a Comment